4-5 pages of text, using the following format guidelines:
• 12-point type size
• Double line spacing
• One-inch margins
----Kenneth Burke……………… Rhetoric as Symbolic Action--- (in book pdf sent/attached)---
Recalling the functions of rhetoric, discuss how rhetoric functions in the narrative. Here are
some questions you may want to consider in your analysis:
• Did the creator (i.e. author) of the narrative have an intent other than to entertain?
• Did the choice of narrative “type” (i.e. a poem vs. a movie) play a role in the function of
rhetoric in the narrative?
• Is the narrative used to “bring together individuals separated from one another by alienation
and competition” (p. 210)?
• Does Burke`s concept of identification play a role?
• Is there extensive use of symbolism in the narrative?
• Can the narrative be analyzed in terms of Burke`s dramatistic pentad?
• Is there form (i.e. syllogistic, qualitative, conventional) in the narrative?
• How did the situation (per Bitzer) play a role in the rhetoric of the narrative? Consider
exigence, audience, contstraints, response.
• What role does language (per Bakhtin) play in the rhetoric of the narrative?
• Is the creator`s (i.e. author`s) voice (per Bakhtin and Booth) evident in the narrative?
• What role do images (“The Rhetoric of Display”) have in the rhetoric of the narrative?
Not that these questions are not meant to be answered in your paper. They are rhetorical!...meant
to make you think on the topic.
Please be sure to draw on direct examples from the narrative in support of your points.
If you use any secondary sources for your essay, they must be documented using correct in-text
citations and a properly formatted APA References or MLA Works Cited list.
Name: Tutor: Course: Date: How Rhetoric Functions In the Narrative In attempting to discern the purpose of rhetoric functions in a narrative, it is essential to first critically understand what the rhetoric function is. Rhetoric refers to the conversational art through which an individual attempts to inform, persuade or otherwise convey information, attitudes, and feelings to a given audience. Rhetoric functions refer to the manner through which information can be conveyed e.g. definitions, explanations, descriptions et ceteraCITATION Ric13 p ": 27" l 1033 (Toye : 27). Rhetoric functions are also defined in some literary circles as cognitive genres. The paper, therefore, seeks to determine how these function in the narrative. The paper will utilize Kenneth Burke`s seminal book, â€œRhetoric as Symbolic Actionâ€ as the case studyCITATION Bur68 p ": 209" l 1033 (Burke : 209). The creator of the narrative primary motive was to entertain audiences. It however adhered to the didactic theory of art which emphasizes on the need of informative and instructional capabi