Read Chapter 11 & 12
Texbook eBook is located at:
User Name: edulanto
Neuroplasticity or brain plasticity includes both synaptic plasticity and non-synaptic plasticity, that is, changes in neural pathways that are believed to result from changes in behavior, environment, neural processes thinking and emotions. It is said that “neurons that fire together, wire together”. Watch this short video by Sentis called “Neuroplasticity” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELpfYCZa87g&feature=youtu.be
OR read this short article by MedicineNet.com called “Definition of Neuroplasticity” http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=40362 (either one is sufficient) as an introduction to the concept.
First, let’s start with a question based on your opinion:
1. How much, and in what way, do you think the power of the mind can influence a person’s health?
Now applying what you have learned from the readings and videos, let’s go through the rest of the, one question at a time.
2. Based on what we have learned about how the brain works and reading the Hartley article choose a specific disease or condition to discuss that you think may or may not be affected by using rewiring techniques. Are there some conditions you feel are more adaptable or is the application unlimited?
3. Based on your research, do you think there is scientific evidence to support valid use of neuroplasticity in treatment or prevention of illness?
NOW Read the following questions and briefly describe your thoughts on the answer and how you come to that answer. This activity is intended to allow you to think about what you have learned and how you can apply it to problems or situations in the real world.
4. What would happen to the nervous system functions if all neurons were myelinated?
5. How would the nervous system be different if there were no synapses?
6. How would you explain the impact on the cerebellum if it did not receive feedback from the skeletal muscles?
7. Why do you think a large part of the primary somatic sensory area of the cerebral cortex is devoted to the face and hands?
DON’T FORGET Reference or mention specifically how your ideas are supported by the text and articles.
1] How much, and in what way, do you think the power of the mind can influence a person