textbook Chapter 8 & 9
Texbook eBook is located at:
User Name: edulanto
There are some cultures that feel that a worker will make more money if they are taller. There are other cultures where many men may never find a mate because of their height. We were all short at one point in our lives but what if you never grew to be as tall as you wanted to be?
1. Based on your own opinion, what steps would you personally be willing to take, if any, so that you could be just a few inches taller?
Now read the, check these websites:
Now watch these YouTube videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrPKaTDkQvE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws-EHmPfgHM now let’s discuss these questions.
Thinking about how the bone is normally formed and remodeled, discuss with your classmates the following:
2. Thinking about how the bones form and the bone remodeling process, how would you say that this bone lengthening procedure could work?
3. If a person were to have this procedure completed after the growth plates have closed would the procedure still be successful?
4. What are some pros and cons of having this procedure done?
5. In the NatGeo video the statement is made that “the bone will grow into the gap harvesting its own healing powers”. How does the bone accomplish this task?
NOW Read the following questions and briefly describe your thoughts on the answer and how you come to that answer. This activity is intended to allow you to think about what you have learned and how you can apply it to problems or situations in the real world.
6. Predict what would happen if during an accident the periosteum and the muscle were removed from a side of a long bone that is broken.
7. Describe the advantages and disadvantages of fusing vertebrae.
DON’T FORGET Reference or mention specifically how your ideas are supported by the text and articles.
Personally, I am very satisfied with my height, and I think I do not need to go through any procedures to be taller. It is a risk that could cost me the ability to walk and weaken my bones as the body tries to compensate and adapt to my new stature. Undergoing bone lengthening procedure does not always guarantee a person the expected results. It is also very expensive, and therefore I think if the money is used wisely, I can access the advantages taller people have over me.