Importance of Becoming a Global Citizen
Prepare: View the Globalization: What is Happening to Us? https://fod.infobase.com/OnDemandEmbed.aspx?Token=50420&aid=18596&Plt=FOD&loid=0&w=640&h=480&ref video and read the article A Model of Global Citizenship: Antecedents and Outcomes by Stephen Reysen and Iva Katzarska-Miller (2013). Go to the Ashford Library and locate one additional source on global citizenship that will help support your viewpoint.
Reflect: Please take some time to reflect on how the concept of global citizenship has shaped your identity, and think about how being a global citizen has made you a better person in your community
Write: Use the Week One Assignment Template when addressing the following prompts:
• After viewing the video, describe how being a global citizen in the world of advanced technology can be beneficial to your success in meeting your personal, academic, and professional goals.
• After reading the article by Reysen and Katzarska-Miller, explain why there has been disagreement between theorists about the definition of global citizenship and develop your own definition of global citizenship.
• From the article, choose two of the six outcomes of global citizenship (i.e., intergroup empathy, valuing diversity, social justice, environmental sustainability, intergroup helping, and the level of responsibility to act for the betterment of this world) as stated in the article, and explain why those two are the most important in becoming a global citizen compared to the others.
• Describe at least two personal examples or events in your life that illustrate the development of global citizenship based on the two outcomes you chose.
• Identify two specific general education courses, and explain how they each influenced you to become a global citizen.
• Must be 750 – 1,000 words in length (excluding title and reference pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
• Must include a separate title page with the following:
o Title of paper
o Student`s name
o Course name and number
o Instructor`s name
o Date submitted
o Running header with page numbers
• Must cite the two resources required to complete this assignment
• Be sure to integrate your research rather than simply inserting it.
• Must document all sources in APA style as outlined
• Must have no more than 15% quoted material in the body of your essay based on the Turnitin report. Reference list will be excluded from the Turnitin originality score.
• Must include a separate reference page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined
Importance of becoming a Global Citizen Student`s Name Institutional Affiliation Importance of becoming a Global Citizen As globalization continues to reshape the world in a high rate, global citizenship has become the topic of discussion in this century. Globalization has made the world to become more interconnected than before, thus with the topic of global citizenship becoming pervasive, it is important for everybody to think about the roles that we can play as global citizens in this new dynamic society. With the current advancements in technology, the world has become a small village where people can do things in different continents from the comfort of their houses without necessarily travelling abroad. Communication is one area that has been influenced by these advancements in technology. One can communicate with their colleagues without spending much. The evolutions of the online communities where people from different cultures engage with each other - is also beneficial for global citizens. Since global citizens are concerned with the welfares of others, they use these online platforms to help each other to achieve their personal objec