Assignment 1: The Effects of War and Peace on Foreign Aid
Due Week 4 and worth 200 pointsUse the Internet to research one (1) developing nation of your choice. Your research should include an examination of the effects that war and peace have on the distribution of foreign aid, as well as the material covered by the Webtext and lectures in Weeks 1 through 3.Write a three to four (3-4) page research paper in which you:
- Assess the positive and negative effects that peace and war, respectively, have on the distribution of foreign aid in the developing country that you have selected. Support your response with concrete examples of each of the results that you have cited.
- Analyze the specific actions that the leadership of the selected country has taken, through the use of its foreign aid from donor nations and international lending institutions, to relieve the severe problems caused by warfare.
- Discuss whether or not the extension of foreign aid has successfully reduced poverty and the incidence of warfare in the selected country. Support your response with examples.
- Use at least five (5) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia, blogs, and other nonacademic websites do not qualify as academic resources. Approval of resources is at the instructor`s discretion. Resources must also be within the last seven (7) years. Â
When referencing the selected resources, please use the following format:Â
- Webtext Format:
- Name of the author. Name of title. Retrieved from website url.
Soomo. Understanding Development [Webtext]. Retrieved from http://www.webtexts.com/courses/9218-cathey.
- Lecture Format:
- Name of the Author. Name of the lecture [lecture type]. Retrieved from lecture url.
Strayer University. (2013). Understanding Development [PowerPoint slides]. Retrieved from /bbcswebdav/institution/SOC/300/1136/Week1/lecture/story.html.
- Internet Resources:
- Author`s Name. (Date of publication). Title of the resource. Retrieved from website url.
THE EFFECTS OF WAR AND PEACE ON FOREIGN AID
For most developing countries, foreign aid usually plays a major role in ensuring the economic and social sustainability. Foreign aid, if well used, help in spurring economic development, which in turn improves the lives of the citizens of these countries. Foreign aid usually comes in two forms, either humanitarian, or development aid. In the presence of peace, the distribution of foreign aid is usually quite seamless and effective. In times of war however, the process is hampered due to the extensive tension and violence, which can pose as a threat to the efforts. An interesting bit of this however, is that foreign aid in the form of humanitarian assistance, comes in most cases when a country is affected by war. In this paper, the impact of war and peace are going to be discussed in detail, e