This paper concentrates on the primary theme of Topic: Corrections and Victims’ Rights Research Assignment in which you have to explain and evaluate its intricate aspects in detail. In addition to this, this paper has been reviewed and purchased by most of the students hence; it has been rated 4.8 points on the scale of 5 points. Besides, the price of this paper starts from £ 40. For more details and full access to the paper, please refer to the site.
Topic: Corrections and Victims’ Rights Research Assignment
Go to the Federal Bureau of Prisons` (BOP) Website, and review the “Resources For Victims & Witnesses,” located at http://www.bop.gov/resources/victim_resources.jsp. Next, go to the American Correctional Association Website, and review the ACA Code of Ethics, located at http://www.counseling.org/resources/aca-code-of-ethics.pdf. Lastly, go to Cornell University Law Schools` Website, and review “18 U.S. Code Crime § 3771 – Crime victims` rights,” located at http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/3771.
Write a four to six (4-6) page paper in which you:
1) Examine the significant manner in which the Crime Victims` Rights Act protects the rights of crime victims. Provide your opinion of the effectiveness of this piece of legislation. Justify your response.
2) Determine whether or not victim impact statements add value during sentencing and parole hearings. Provide a rationale for your response.
3) Debate which is more important to a victim: the right to be notified of proceeding or the right to participate in a proceeding. Provide a rationale for your response.
4) Review the following three (3) statements, and determine the key ethical responsibilities of corrections personnel associated with them.
“Our job is not to punish.”
“Legal liability issues.”
“The rules don`t apply."
5) Recommend two (2) strategies for ensuring that correctional employees (e.g., correctional staff, administrators, parole officers, probation officers, etc.) adhere to the ACA Code of Ethics.
6) Debate the importance of victims having a voice in the legal process.
7) Use at least three (3) quality references. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student`s name, the professor`s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
Corrections and Victims` Rights
Corrections and Victims` Rights
1 Examine the significant manner in which the Crime Victims` Rights Act protects the rights of crime victims. Provide your opinion on the effectiveness of this piece of legislation. Justify your response.
Governments across the world have passed and implemented certain laws whose objective is to protect the victims. These rights allow the victims to get access to certain information, and protection during the criminal justice process. Hoyle and Young (2002) note that the rights of the victims are dependent on the jurisdiction where the crime is being investigated and prosecuted. Some of the victims` rights include:
* The right to protection. Victims are entitled to protection from any threat, retaliation or intimidation during the criminal justice system.
* Right to be informed. The victims have the right to information that they think is necessary for exercising their rights through the available resources and services. The information that they may need include but not limited to: their rights, how to contact the criminal justice officials