Prepare: The topic of your essay needs to be a global societal problem from the following list: adult illiteracy, funding for General Education vs STEM in primary and secondary schools, minimum wage, oceans desertification, overcoming the digital divide, refugee (escaping persecution, war, or death) crises, species extinctions (modern), tax havens, Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP), universal statement of human rights (pick one), airport security, or wealth disparity. Review this GEN499 Sample Final Paper (see attachment) Guide for additional guidance on the expectations of this assignment.
The topic that I selected is Airport Security.
Reflect: Based on the topic that you have chosen, you will need to use critical thinking skills to thoroughly understand how this topic can be a global societal problem and determine some logical solution(s) to the problem.
Write: This Final Argumentative Essay will present research relating the critical thinker to the modern, globalized world. In this assignment, you need to address the following items in separate sections with new headings for each:
• Identify the global societal problem within the introductory paragraph and conclude with a thesis statement that states your proposed solution(s) to the problem. For guidance on how to construct a good introduction paragraph.
• Describe background information on how that problem developed or came into existence. Show why this is a societal problem, and provide perspectives from multiple disciplines or populations so that you fully represent what different parts of society have to say about this issue.
• Construct an argument supporting your proposed solution(s). Be sure to consider multiple disciplines or populations so that your solution shows that multiple parts of society will benefit from this solution. Provide evidence from multiple scholarly sources as evidence that your proposed solution is viable.
• Interpret statistical data from at least three, peer-reviewed scholarly sources. Do this by discussing the validity, reliability, and any biases; identifying the strengths and weaknesses of these sources; and pointing out limitations of current research and attempting to indicate areas for future research. You may even use visual representations such as graphs or charts to explain statistics from sources. Evaluate the ethical outcomes that result from your solution. Be sure to provide at least one positive ethical outcome as well as at least one negative ethical outcome that could result from your solution, and explain at least two ethical issues related to each of those outcomes. It’s important to consider all of society.
• Develop a conclusion as the last paragraph(s) of the essay, starting with rephrasing your thesis statement and then presenting the major points of the topic and how they support your argument. For guidance on how to write a good conclusion paragraph, please review the conclusion paragraph guideline from the writing center
The Final Argumentative Essay
• Must be 3,300 – 3,900 words in length (approximately between 10 – 12 pages; excluding title and reference pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined
• Must include in-text citations from at least 10 scholarly sources. Be sure to integrate your research rather than simply inserting it.
• Must document all sources in APA style as outlined here and here.
• Must have no more than 15% quoted material in the body of your essay based on the Turnitin report. Reference list will be excluded from the Turnitin originality score.
• source Document Requirements:
o Multimedia sources (such as videos) may be used, but no more than two such sources may be used. If multimedia sources are used, they must be authored and distributed by credible sources, such as universities, law schools, medical schools, or professors.
o Government sources may be used, but no more than two such sources may be used. Examples include whitehouse.gov, state.gov, usa.gov, cdc.gov, etc. These websites can be used to make a stronger point about your proposed solution within the argument.
o Where print documents are used for source materials, those must be peer-reviewed, scholarly journal articles, and academically published books. Popular media sources (e.g., newspapers, magazines, television and radio shows, etc.) must not be used. Materials from advocacy groups (e.g., Greenpeace, Human Rights Campaign, National Organization for Women, etc.) must not be used.
o Sites such as ProCon.org and Wikipedia must not be used.
o Religious texts must not be used.
Good Critical Thinking Tips:
• Your paper should include academic sources that explain multiple sides of the issue.
• Your interpretations of the evidence should be objective and state the conclusions and theses presented in the evidence clearly and fairly.
• Your paper should place the various forms of evidence in relation to one another and demonstrate why one form or perspective is stronger than the other positions that one could take on the issue.
• Your paper should point out the limitations of current evidence and attempt to indicate areas for future research.
Airport security is a global problem which has over years become a target for terrorists. Istanbul Ataturk is one of the recent airports to be attacked by the terrorists that left at least 36 people killed and many injured (Tan, 2016). Although there have been a lot of security measures initiated mainly after the 11 September 2001 security attack, there is still a lot to be done to curb terrorism. Terrorism is a socio-political and self-reproducing political phenomenon which can be seen throughout different civilizations. However, it has evolved in the 21st century and demonstrated its ability to cause a systemic crisis at a global level. Terrorism has been closely connected to another phenomenon, globalization, which is all-encompassing. Air transport facilitates the two phenomena by conveying people and cargo around the world within a very short time of up to 24 hours. It is no doubt that aviation is one of the dynamic and most developing transportation means. A testimony to this can be the high number of air transport companies about 10,000 operating worldwide with passengers of about 15,500 using the passenger airlines.
It is regrettable that while aviation posits a positive tendency, it also has a negative side. Because of its vulnerability and significance including bringing together different nationalists, air transport has become a major target and...