Topic: Literary analysis of figurative language of Madonna’s song “Like a Virgin.”
Purpose: To write a 1,100 word essay that analyzes the figurative language and literary devices (simile, metaphor, personification, symbolism) in a song to show how those elements contribute to the song’s appeal to its audience.
Guideline for the work:
1. I already have an introduction part and the thesis statement for the essay. Please, use my thesis statement to analyze the song’s lyrics.
Use this thesis statement for the essay:
Madonna’s “Like a Virgin” is a song about healing power of love and the encouragement for self- expression.
2. Analyze every set of lyrics using literary devices (simile, metaphor, personification, symbolism) to show what this song represent to people, or women. Do not discuss biographical information of why the song was written and what the meaning is to the author or singer. You must not write about how Madonna or the author of the song feels like. This song is not about their feelings, but what it means to people, specifically young women.
The purpose of the essay is to analyze the literary devices in the song to prove that the song means what I stated in the thesis statement. When you analyze the song lyrics, make sure that the content of it is related to the thesis statement. When you analyzing lyrics, follow in order from the beginning of the song to the end. For example, the lyrics “I made it through the wilderness, somehow I made it through, didn’t know how lost I was, until I found you” is or represent this or that to the public or women…..Then move to the second set of lyrics “I was beat, Incomplete, I’d been had, I was sad and blue, But you made me feel, Yeah, you made me feel, Shiny and new,” and so forth.
Remember: This song must not be about author or Madonna’s feeling. It should be what the thesis statement stated. This song must not be about Madonna’s feelings, but what it means to people, specifically young women.
3. After you analyzed the lyrics, then, you must also argue why the song is popular or what specific cultural impact the song has had on young women and older conservative generation.
4. Then write a conclusion that is relevant to the thesis statement, song meaning, and its impact on the public.
5. You don’t have to write the reference page. I will write it.
6. The lyrics of the song are included in the attached document.
Name Tutor Course Date Literary analysis of the figurative language of Madonnaâ€™s song â€œLike a Virgin.â€ The lyrics â€œI made it through the wilderness, somehow I made it through, didnâ€™t know how lost I was until I found youâ€ show that women pass through series of challenges in their dating lives. In this case, the word â€œwildernessâ€ represent that a vast majority of ladies are promiscuous and do not stick to one lover since they change partners from time to time. â€œSomehow I made it throughâ€ shows that a vast majority of women find it hard to change their promiscuous ways of living. In a society with a conservative view towards women, women tend to be oppressed and only take the minor roles in the society such as housewives or engaging in prostitution moving from one man to another to earn means of life hood. With such a primitive view, as evident in this song, most women who tend to jump from one man to another find it extremely hard to change their lifestyles. Most lifestyles exercised by wome