This paper concentrates on the primary theme of discuss how stakeholders can benefit from planning of tourism developments with reference to a current case study in which you have to explain and evaluate its intricate aspects in detail. In addition to this, this paper has been reviewed and purchased by most of the students hence; it has been rated 4.8 points on the scale of 5 points. Besides, the price of this paper starts from £ 40. For more details and full access to the paper, please refer to the site.
Unit number and title
BTEC Level 5 HND in Hospitality Management
Unit 7 Sustainable Tourism Development
HND Assignment Help
1 Planning for Sustainable Tourism Development
2 Comparison of Tourism Impact
This assignment consists of four tasks split into two parts (part 1 and part 2). It is aimed at helping the learner understand the understanding of the rationale and different approaches to tourism planning and development, sustainable tourism, current issues and impacts of tourism. Although the tasks in this assignment are all based on the scenario provided above you need to support your discussion with relevanttheories and concepts.
Case Study (part 1)
Scenario: Sports related travel and tourism is a growing and lucrative market. The decade from 2010 to 2020 will see some countries to be a host of major sporting events. Such events require a sporting infrastructure to be in place as well as having good transport links and accommodation facilities. Other facilities need to be planned to meet the needs of visitors. Responsibility for individual events rests with the governing bodies of the sports concerned but the Department of Culture Media and Sport has a national perspective on such events and other national and local agencies will be involved. The private sector has a major role to play both in providing facilities such as hotels and transport as well as making finance available to invest in the different projects. Given the scale of these projects and funds invested, there is a growing interest to organise these events in a sustainable manner. For example, sustainability has been ‘put at the heart’ of the London 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games. You will need to investigate the planning arrangements for major sporting events showing the responsibilities of the various parties and how they co-ordinate their activities to ensure the promotion and staging of successful events.
Research into the past sporting events such as the Athens Olympic games, The London Olympic games, The World Cup in Brazil etc. would help you understand more about these events and who are stakeholders involved.
Case Study(part 2)
Scenario: Enclave tourism is the creation of self-contained resort developments for visitors which are isolated or insulated from the surrounding indigenous country and population. Usually such enclaves are coastal and offer sports facilities, accommodation, entertainment and food as well as having landing strips for smaller airplanes. Tourists who stay in such enclaves have no need to leave the tourism complex as it is entirely self-contained. All-inclusive resorts include all daily needs and amenities in the overall price. Many enclave resorts are found in the developing world. Avoid using cut and paste materials when writing and completing assignment.
Any scenario related materials can be attached in the appendix.
LO 1 and LO 2: You work as a business consultant to a local authority which is considering bidding to host an international sporting event. You have been asked to consider the tourism impact of such sporting events. Prepare a consultation paper in which you:
- Discuss how stakeholders can benefit from planning of tourism developments with reference to the forthcoming sporting events in a destination of your choice (eg. The Qatar football cup, Olympic Games in …..). Base your reflection on past similar events (e.g. London 2012, Soci 2014 Olympic Games, South Africa world championship of football etc.)
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of public/private sector tourism planning partnerships drawing on an example such as the Olympic Games
- Analyse the features of tourism development planning at different levels and evaluate the significance of interactive planning systems and processes in these developments with particular reference to the sporting events
- Evaluate different methods available to measure the tourist impact.
LO 3: Select a type of tourism (i.e. medical tourism, eco-tourism, cultural tourism etc.) and prepare a supplement to the consultation paper in which you:
- Justify the introduction of the concept of sustainability in tourism development for the type of tourism you selected
- Analyse factors that may prevent/hinder sustainable tourism development for the type of tourism you selected
- Analyse different stages in planning for sustainability for the type of tourism you selected
LO 4: Write an entry for a tourism definition and characteristics about enclave tourism. Identify an enclave tourism development in a developing country of your choice.
- Based on literature review, analyse the development of tourism in emerging destinations – main characteristic’s, problems and issues of tourism development in developing countries in general
- Evaluate methods of resolving a conflict of interests between the local populations, the local government agencies, the destination owners and the tourists to ensure the future well-being of the developing tourism destination
- Evaluate the moral and ethical issues of enclave tourism and its positives and negatives impacts on the host destination
LO 5: Select a developing country with few or no developed tourism industry and another, which is a neighbour country with booming tourism industry (emerging destination).
For example Oman (developing) in comparison a contrast with Dubai in the UAE (emerging), its neighbour, which has a developed travel and tourism sector.
Prepare a feature for a student travel publication in which you:
- Compare current issues associated with tourism development in the selected developing country and the selected emerging destination showing the differences in tourism impacts
- Evaluate, with recommendations, the future development of tourism in these destinations
LO1 Understand the rationale for planning in the travel and tourism industry
1.1 discuss how stakeholders can benefit from planning of tourism developments with reference to a current case study
1.2 discuss the advantages and disadvantages of public/private sector tourism planning partnerships drawing on a current example
LO2 Understand different approaches to tourism planning and development
2.1 analyse features of tourism development planning at different levels
2.2 evaluate the significance of interactive planning systems and processes in tourism developments
2.3 evaluate different methods available to measure tourist impact
LO3 Understand the need for planning for sustainable tourism
3.1 justify the introduction of the concept of sustainability in tourism development
3.2 analyse factors that may prevent/hinder sustainable tourism development
3.3 analyse different stages in planning for sustainability
LO4 Understand current issues related to tourism development planning
4.1 evaluate methods of resolving a conflict of interests to ensure the future wellbeing of a developing tourism destination
4.2 analyse the implications of balancing supply and demand
4.3 evaluate the moral and ethical issues of enclave tourism
LO5 Understand the sociocultural, environmental and economic impacts of tourism in developing countries and emerging destinations
5.1 compare current issues associated with tourism development in a developing country and an emerging destination where the impacts of tourism are different
5.2 evaluate, with recommendations, the future development of tourism in these destinations