You should use the FUJITSU organisation where appropriate for your answers. Please read case study carefully which is to be found at http://www.fujitsu.com/uk/Images/multi-national.pdf
Also, please carry out further independent research on the corporation wherever needed, in order to fully answer the questions.
LO1 Understand the Process of Strategic Planning
Q 1.1 Define the terms and explain the meaning of the terms mission, vision, objectives, goals and core competences for a company like FUJITSU.
- Define each of the terms mission, vision, objectives, goals and core competences
- Provide evidence of Fijitsu’s mission, vision, objectives, goals and core competences
Q.1.2What are the three key strategic planning issues that FUJITSU has had to manage over its history?
- Define at strategy planning
- Describe least three business strategy planning problems
- Provide examples of problems within internal analysis, external analysis or business level strategy
Q.1.3Describe and explain two different planning techniques that FUJITSU could use in future.
- Explain and describe two different planning techniques e.g. the BCG, SPACE, PIMS or stakeholder mapping
LO 2 Be Able to Formulate a New Strategy
Q 2.1 Conduct a SWOT Analysis of the FUJITSU corporation.
- Identify the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats for your chosen corporation
- Complete the table below
Q 2.2Carry out a PESTEL Analysis for FUJITSU and evaluate the current challenges within the FUJITSU business environment.
- Describe the factors of PESTEL – Political, Economic, Social, Technological, Environmental and Legal
- Provide an example of each for your corporation
- Present the answers in the table below
Q 2.3 Conduct a stakeholder analysis for FUJITSU and explain how strategic positioning is used to help gain competitive advantage.
- Describe the term “stakeholder”
- Carry out a stakeholder analysis for FUJITSU
- Describe why strategic positioning is important within this organisation.
LO3 Understand Approaches to Strategy Evaluation to Strategy Evaluation & Selection
Q 3.1 Analyse the various strategic options available to FUJITSU which will promote organisational growth.
- Discuss market entry strategies, for example, organic growth, growth by merger or acquisition or strategic alliances strategies
- Discuss substantive growth strategies which can include related and unrelated diversification.
- Discuss limited growth strategies including strategies such as market penetration and market development
- Discuss disinvestment strategies including turnaround strategies, divestment and liquidation.
Q 3.2 From your analysis in Q3.1, recommend an appropriate growth strategy for FUJITSU for the future.
- Include an introduction, background, advantages and disadvantages of various options with evidence from FIJITSU and the business environment
LO 4 Understand How to Implement a Chosen Strategy
Q 4.1 Using your answer in Q3.2, create an implementation plan for the recommended future strategy for FUJITSU.
- a list of implementation activities
- benchmark targets
- a discussion about the teams you require
- examples of individual roles required to achieve the SMART objectives within the plan
Q 4.2 Describe and evaluate the resources required to implement the new strategy from answer Q3.2
- Describe how to carry out a human resources audit
- Describe how to carry out a financial resources audit
- Evaluate the resource requirements
Q 4.3 From your responses in Q4.1 & Q4.2 create a Gantt Chart that shows the activities required and timescale for the implementation of the recommended future strategy of Q3.2
- Propose targets and timescales which you would use to monitor the implementation plan
- Formulate a Project plan and present it in a Gantt Chart (MS Project software available in LSST computers)